A patron for sharing

The other day one of my friends reminded me that the end of the year means it's time to wheel out the ever-trusty patron saint generator and find out which heavenly inhabitant will inspire and pray for us throughout 2016. So I duly complied, and got...

St Elizabeth Ann Seton

Feast: January 4

Patronage: Against In-Law Problems; Against the Death of Children; Against the Death of Parents; People Ridiculed for Their Piety; Widows

Elizabeth Ann was, I know, a pioneer and a great educator, founded the first American congregation of women and was the first American-born person to be canonised. She lived through many changes in society, as well as enduring bereavement (including widowhood) and many difficulties. She would undoubtedly make a fine patron for anyone, but I had some doubts about her special patronages. I have neither in-laws nor children, my parents have already died and I'm not sufficiently pious for anyone to ridicule me for that. That said, though, I do have several friends with one or both parents still alive, in-laws and/or children, and know some whose piety easily exceeds mine. While my circumstances probably won't keep Elizabeth Ann busy theirs might, and so this year I will share my patron with anyone who might need her special prayers and inspiration from her life.

Faith lifts the staggering soul on one side, hope supports it on the other, experience says it must be and love says let it be. ~ Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton, 26th March 1810

And if you want a patron for yourself, here's the link to the generator: http://saintsnamegenerator.com/ 
I hope you're well-matched!

Comments